Unfortunately even if a PC has already been configured with our CAB Gwynedd google account there are some settings which need to be re-done for every new user.
- Accept the various Microsoft questions around Cortana (voice activation), advertising and location. It might even ask you to log in with a Microsoft account – you do not want to do this.
- You won’t be using Microsoft Edge so you can close down as soon as it lets you.
- Right click the Edge and Mail icons at the bottom of the screen to “unpin” them. Do the same to “pin” programs you do use – chrome, word etc.
- When you first start chrome it asks whether you whether you want to Sync data. Yes you do! There may be an error showing top right – click on this and tell it to enable the extensions you want and remove the ones you don’t. It may also tell you top left of the screen that Chrome is not the defaut browser. You want to change this – and set chrome as the default program for mail at the same time. If the warning is not shown you can search for default programs in bottom left search box.
- Once this is done you can set up google drive. you can get to this from the left search box. It will need to “sign in through browser” – which won’t work unle chrome is the default.
- Microsoft insists on launching onedrive – you won’t be using this so you can right click on it in bottom right corner and go to settings, settings, and untick “start automatically”. You can then go back into onedrive to shut it down.
- First time you go into GMail look for a symbol in the top right corner of the search bar – the one on the left in the picture below). Click it.
- You will be asked to agree to allow mail.google.com to open all mail links. Click “Allow” and “Done”. It will automatically take you to the default applications page. You want to change the one at the top from “Mail” to “Google Chrome” and lower down also change the browser from Edge to Google Chrome. If you encounter problems with sending emails from GMail, this link has additional steps which may help.
It is tempting to change the “Downloads” and “Documents” folders to the G drive to ensure that all documents are backed up / stored securely. Please don’t do this as it causes problems particularly with installing Navigate Pro. Instead, make sure you look in both folders regularly and delete or move any confidential documents. You can create shortcuts to “my drive” and “shared drives” in the documents folder to make it easier to click through instead of saving things there.
If you need to edit PDF files please talk to Tal or Dawn about options – there is a basic package (Ashampoo – £6 per user) or the full Adobe Acrobat (£50 per user) depending on your requirements.