We have been experiencing problems with this. The fix is below – but so is a work around in case this doesn’t solve it/ we have the same problem again.
Installing Google Credential Provider for Windows (GCPW)
Google Credential Provider for Windows (GCPW) is the program we will use to enable all CAB Gwynedd users to use any CAB Gwynedd PC. The installation process is as follows:
- You will need your Google account set up before you can start this process. You will also need to be logged in to your Google account to access the resources mentioned in these instructions so if you are reading in something other than Chrome, switch now.
- If you are using a personal PC, you have a choice:
- You can install GCPW. Your existing user accounts will remain on the PC – but anything you do for CAB Gwynedd, you should do within your google user account – which you can log into at startup. If other people use your PC, lock your CAB Gwynedd account before finishing and they can log on to another account.
- If you don’t want to install GCPW you need to ensure that the user account you use for work is not used by anybody else, has a secure password and that you lock the account before leaving the computer.
- If you are using a CAB Gwynedd PC, you need to install the software and delete the adviser account once it has been successfully installed. Make sure any local files in the “Adviser” account have been saved (uploaded) to Google Drive and then log off Adviser and log on to Admin. You will need the admin password to do this – ask one of the google guides.
- Download installation file for GCPW (this link will require you to log in to your cabgwynedd google account if you haven’t already) and install by clicking on thie icon on bottom left of your screen
- It sometimes takes an hour or so for the software to sync with the CAB Gwynedd google account but after that any Cabgwynedd user can log on to the PC and they will have a unique account (so won’t be able to see other users’ files etc).
- Restart the PC and log on to your account. You will be asked lots of standard questions about configuring Microsoft and Edge – the answers don’t really matter and you can skip everything to do with Edge that it will let you as you won’t be using it anyway. You only get asked these questions the first time you log on to a specific PC.
Click on this link to download a small file which will update your registry settings so that GCPW works. You will need to download the file (which again will require you to log in to your cabgwynedd google account if you haven’t already), install by clicking on thie icon on bottom left of your screen and then restart the PC.
The work around
You can create your own local account by logging on to Admin and following these instructions.